Thursday 25 April 2013

If you can meet with triumph and despair, and treat those two impostors just the same...


Last night there were twelve entrants and three places in the finals up for grabs.  
The prize for getting through into the finals is getting the first chapter of your novel published in an ebook of first chapters.  Okay The Last Changeling is already published as an ebook, but that didn't disqualify it, and I certainly could use any extra publicity.  It's a big world out there, and my little book is only one of billions.  
The ultimate prize is the kudos of being the best, plus there's a week long residential creative writing course in Wales for the writer the judges decide to be the 'most deserving.' 

I didn't get through to the finals.
It didn't help that one of the judges said it was 'terrific' and the Compere said it had made him want to read The Last Changeling, even though, as a fantasy thriller, it's a genre he usually doesn't read.  

I've grown used to winning and not winning, and although it's easier to embrace the drama of losing, I've learnt not to take other peoples' opinions as personal criticism - not everyone 'gets' what I write.  However, if it shows me where I can make my writing stronger, I use the opportunity.  
Losing a film competition spurred me on to write The Last Changeling, so maybe this latest not-quite-setback will lead to a further creative surge?


No comments:

Post a Comment